Friday, July 3, 2015

Luke's Surgery






There is one thing I hoped we wouldn't have to go through with our kids and it's surgery. So far Brody has already needed tubes and now Lukers needs surgery. He started to have a problem and soon found out it was a hydrocele and needed to be repaired right away. 

The poor kid was obviously in a lot of pain but he was also pretty proud of it. He was constantly reminding us that he had "the biggest junk alive." We had to have a talk with Luke because he was telling everyone that he was going to have his junk cut open. He even told his teacher that he couldn't sit on the floor anymore because his junk was too big and he was going to have surgery on it. Obviously he wasn't ashamed of it and was letting everyone know...bless his heart!

Luke was pretty excited about his surgery and made sure we were ready. He insisted on new pajamas, slippers, etc. It made me start to worry because he was very excited about his surgery and had no idea what was coming.

The morning of his surgery he couldn't believe that he wasn't even allowed to drink a sippy of chocolate milk. All morning he kept reminding us that he wanted a cheeseburger the second he woke up. After we got him all ready and prepped for surgery Luke snuggled down in his wagon. It wasn't until the anesthesiologist asked him if he was ready to go that I realized we hadn't prepped Luke for the next part...we weren't going with him. It broke my heart when he realized that we were leaving him. This was one of the worst feelings as a mom. I couldn't believe that I was sending my little guy off to surgery and I wouldn't be there to protect him and keep him safe. My Lukers is the toughest little guy I know and he gave us both a love and was ready to go. 

His surgery couldn't have gone better and I was so excited to see him. It was weird to see my energetic Luke so lethargic and motionless. He was doing great but he was very worried about his IV. Luke didn't dare move hand with the IV...even after they took it out he held his hand still until we got home. Sadly, Luke is like his mommy and his body didn't handle the anesthesia that well. Poor Lukers puked a few times and so we had to stay for a bit so he could be monitored. 

I was worried it would be a rough week of recovery but Luke proved me wrong! Thanks to oxytocin Luke was ready to go ride his bike the next day. There is very little that keeps Luke down and surgery was no exception. I am so grateful that things went smoothly and my Luke is safe and healthy...there is nothing that brings me more joy as a mom than safe and healthy children!  

No comments: