Last week Mark was able to participate in an amazing event. It was a charity bike ride called the Million Dollar Challenge. The ride started in San Francisco and ended in San Diego. The event raised 1.4 million for the Challenged Athletes Foundation. Skullcandy was one of the sponsors so Mark and two of his coworkers were lucky enough to do a relay team.
I have been after Mark to get a new bike for about a year now. He is not just an average rider anymore and he can get great deals on bikes. Up until this weekend he has been reluctant, but I am pretty sure the bike mechanics changed their minds. A local bike shop disassembled Mark's bike and I had it shipped to the starting line. There the bike mechanics reassembled the bikes and gave it a thorough tuneup. The night before the ride we attending the welcome dinner and program. Mark went to check on his bike and learned that all of the mechanics looked at his bike and all agreed they would not ride the bike themselves. The wheels were unsafe and shouldn't be used. Luckily, they loaned Mark a new set of wheels that cost more than our car and he was ready to roll...almost. The next morning we came out to the start line and there was his bike with a nice note attached. Not too comforting to be informed that his brakes and chain were almost dead as he headed out on a 100 mile ride. Hopefully now he will listen to the professionals and invest in a new bike!
I had my reservations about this ride because it sounded very focused on the luxury of the ride instead of the charity. After our few days with the event I have a very different view on the event. I was touched so many times during this event about how precious life is and how blessed I am. You can't help but come away telling yourself, "It could be worse." There were numerous challenged athletes that competed in this ride that were far more stronger and enthusiastic about life than I am.
I was also amazed at the charity I witnessed during the ride. There were a few big names participating in the event. One person in particular was Bill Walton. Mark and I met him during the opening program and dinner. I was amazed how he learned our names and took time to get to know us. He even made sure that I was taken care of during the day, his wife was also along for the ride and had many activities planned. He was very generous in his donations and was there every step of the way.
Mark's first stop was in Santa Cruz. Even though it wasn't bikini weather we still threw our suits on and headed to the beach for a minute. The ocean and boardwalk were so refreshing! The next day was probably the most scenic, from Santa Cruz to Big Sur. Mark was able to bike along the 17 Mile Drive. It doesn't get much prettier than Carmel! It was a short and busy weekend but both Mark and I were definitely touched and hope to participate in this event again!









No comments:
Post a Comment