Friday, January 11, 2013

Gingerbread Houses







Each year our family looks forward to the Waite Family Gingerbread Houses.  It's always mildly intense.  The goal is to take a normal gingerbread house, cut it apart, and make a new and wild creation.      My favorite part is how no one tells what the other person is creating, so it's fun to watch their creation come together.  

Everyone gives me a hard time because I just do a simple house each year.  I'm lucky to get a house done since I spend the majority of the night making frosting, getting supplies, etc.  I did turn mine into a birdhouse, but it was still booed by the crowd.  This year a few others joined me in the basic house so that helped!  Grandma and Grandpa Talbot, Rachel, Jess, and Luke also make super cute houses.  Luke thought Jess' house was the best.  For days after the party he kept asking me why I couldn't make my house cute like Jess' house.  I'll try harder next year I guess.

  Tom made a Christmas tree lot that was super cute.  He used the little tree marshmallows for the lot.  Phil did a Mars Rover.  It was pretty cool considering it was actually standing off of the try on the wheels.  Mitch gets the award for using the most food coloring.  In honor of the new movie he created a Hobbit Hill.  Perfect for Mitch!  Eileen actually ventured out this year and didn't do the normal house.  She created a gazebo and it was super cute and Christmasy.  Becca's creation took the most planning.  She did Tangled's tower complete with Rapunzel and her long blonde hair.  Personally, Pat's was my favorite.  He did the Krusty Krab complete with Spongebob and Patrick and it looked identical.

I always love this family tradition.  Even though everyone was mad at me for not baking the houses year and just buying them.  It's so fun to get together with everyone and see their creations.  I love how each of the houses reflects the creator's personality!  I am so lucky to have such an amazing family.  

No comments: